At Zaarly, we are fixing what is broken in local home services by building great tools and providing exceptional service to local businesses and homeowners. In order to scale to new markets, we are productizing a lot of our manual operations and making big leaps toward making our applications more useful, usable, and delightful.
Why this job is important
Working with a small team of very talented engineers, designers and operators, you’ll play an important role building an incredibly unique, local marketplace. We’re a small company and a tight-knit team working on problems no other business has solved – everyone on the team is mission-critical.
We are only interested in win-win arrangements with local small businesses. We never sell ads or leads, and we don’t require contracts or commitments. Zaarly only makes money when we deliver real value to the businesses who partner with us, and we work hard to do exactly that every day.
- Building features that small business owners, real estate agents and homeowners rely on daily. There are so many interesting problems to solve around building and maintaining trust, creating efficiencies for different kinds of small, local businesses, creating transparency in the market – the list goes on and on.
- Collaborating with our designers to understand our users and guide product decisions. UX doesn’t * stop with prototypes. Ultimately every one of our users will interact with code you’ve written, so we hope you care deeply about their experience.
- Improving our codebase. Our team constantly strives to be more and more intentional about writing * less code, refactoring pain-in-the-butt files, and circling back on those ‘quick fixes’ that should have received more attention than they shipped with.
- You’re an experienced developer who is comfortable working across the full stack of a modern, well-tested Ruby on Rails application. In addition to Rails (5.1!), we work on Postgres, CoffeeScript, Sass, Turbolinks, and Rspec. And Chipotle. Like, an embarrassing amount of Chipotle.
- You have experience 2-4 years of professional experience, including at least 1 year working with a product team on a web app with real users.
- You’re a life-long learner and a student of your craft – both teachable and eager to teach in order to improve our product team.
- You love technology and are excited about working on and maintaining a clean code base.
- You are able to work at our main office in Kansas City or, at the very least, are enthused about traveling here every couple of months for some face time with the rest of the team.
We are small but we are mighty
We have 9 team members in Kansas City and 5 more spread across these great United States. We’re a small team that feels like family. That sounds like a giant cliché, but it’s the truth.
Everyone is mission critical
I'm building a mechanical keyboard and can solve a Rubik's cube in under a minute.
I founded Zaarly. I love old homes with history and lots of projects to work on.
Director of Engineering
I lead our engineering team and manage our technology. I'm possibly the most unhealthy vegetarian on earth.
I make sure things run smoothly. I also tend to think in spreadsheets.
Senior Software Engineer
00100111 01110000 01110101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110011
Director of Marketplace
I help our small businesses stay awesome. I am also a cheeseburger connoisseur.
I wash my apples with handsoap before I eat them. What's not normal about that?
I'm a sewist who doesn't understand the phrase "That's enough fabric."
South Bend, IN
Customer Success Lead
I don't just answer calls and respond to chats - I solve customers' problems. All day, every day.
New Balitmore, MI
Director of Product & Design
I run lead on our website and mobile apps. I am a designer and full-stack pancake eater.
I design cool things at Zaarly and like to collect pens. I’m also a gamer in training.
I stay engaged with our customers over social media. Please reach out if you need anything!
I make sure every job on Zaarly exceeds people's expectations. I’m pretty much awesome.
Local Partnership Manager
I recruit local small businesses to join Zaarly and I’m really picky. Like, borderline unfair.
Director of Marketplace
I recruit local small businesses and help them grow to their full potential on Zaarly!
Customer Success Agent
I work behind the scenes, ensuring an exceptional experience on Zaarly for every customer every time.